Turning hope
into reality.
Turning the page
to a better life.


Turning hope
into reality.
Turning the page
to a better life.


Family Immigration Lawyer


Using Legal Knowledge to Bring Families Together

Whether you’ve attained United States citizenship or permanent residence, you might find yourself missing close relatives who still reside in your home country. Fortunately, there may be a way to bring them to the U.S. to live with you, as long as you meet certain criteria and hire an experienced family immigration attorney for help.

When you hire The Chidolue Law Firm for family-based immigration assistance, you’ll have the undivided attention of a skilled family immigration lawyer who truly understands the importance of welcoming your loved ones to the country that you now call home. If you’re interested in learning how you can bring family members to the U.S. as soon as possible, call our Southern Florida law office for a free case evaluation with a family immigration attorney . We handle family immigration cases nationwide.

Who Can Initiate the Family-Based Immigration Process?

Before you rely on family-based immigration to bring your relatives to the U.S., it’s important to ensure you qualify to sponsor them and understand what this process can do for your family. First, you must be at least 21 years old and either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.

If you meet these qualifications, you can use one of a few popular family-based visa programs for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, each with its own guidelines. These programs can provide your family members with immediate relative visas or family preference visas, depending on their relationship with you. Either way, if approved, they’ll be given a green card so they’re legally allowed to live with you in the U.S. and work, go to school, and enjoy the same rights as you in this country.

If you qualify to sponsor one or more relatives in the immigration process, your next step should be to talk to family immigration attorneys about the legal details. When you hire a lawyer from our law firm, you’ll get legal help throughout the process, from determining which family-based visas you should pursue to gathering the necessary supporting documents. Call our Orlando law offices for the best chance of a successful outcome on your case.

Which Family Members Can Come to the U.S. Through Family-Based Immigration?

The relatives you can bring to the U.S. vary depending on whether you’re a citizen or a permanent resident. If you’re a U.S. citizen, you can use the Immediate Relative visa to sponsor your spouse, parents, or biological and adopted children who are unmarried and under age 21. This is often considered the preferred visa for citizens since there is no limit on the number of Immediate Relative visas that the U.S. issues every year.

U.S. citizens who want to bring non-immediate relatives to this country can use the Family Preference visa to sponsor siblings, married children, and unmarried children who are 21 and older. If you’re not a United States citizen but have permanent residence in the U.S., Family Preference visas are also available so you can bring your spouse and unmarried children to this country through family immigration.

One detail to know about Family Preference visas is that the government only gives a limited amount every year, so there is often a waiting period that varies depending on the family preference category that applies to your case. The family preference categories are as follows, from highest to lowest preference:

  • The adult unmarried children of U.S. citizens
  • The unmarried adult children, minor children, and spouses of lawful permanent residents
  • The married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, as well as their spouses and minor children
  • The siblings of United States citizens, as well as their spouses and minor children

United States citizens can also bring their fiancé to this country shortly before the wedding. This is possible through the K-1 visa, also known as the fiancé visa. To qualify for this, you must get married within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival in the U.S. After the wedding, you can petition to adjust their status in this country so they get permanent residency as green card holders.

Skilled family immigration lawyers can help you decide which visa suits your situation, depending on who you wish to bring to the U.S. and whether you’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Call our family immigration law firm today to speak with a caring, experienced family immigration attorney. We handle cases nationwide

How Does the Family Immigration Process Work?

Once your lawyer lets you know which visa you qualify for, you will need to begin the process of proving certain elements of your case. The details you must prove will depend on the type of visa you’re pursuing and whether you want to sponsor immediate relatives or extended family members.

Regardless of the visa, you’ll typically have to show that your financial status is sufficient to pay for your family member’s living expenses when they move in with you. You must also fill out certain legal forms and provide supporting documentation of your relationship and eligibility.

For example, you’ll need to file the Petition for Alien Relative form for each family member you wish to help get a green card. Along with this form, you will need to show proof that you’re a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident through documents that include your birth certificate, passport, green card, or citizenship certificate.

You can also expect to show proof of your relationship to the person you’re sponsoring, such as a birth certificate showing you’re your child’s parent or bills showing you and your fiancé share finances. Affidavits from witnesses aware of your relationship might also act as supporting documentation in your case.

Once the government has all the necessary documents, they will likely request that your family member undergo a medical exam, a criminal background check, and interviews. Trusted family immigration lawyers can guide you through this process, so contact The Chidolue Law Firm to start your case with the help of a compassionate team today.

How Can a Family Immigration Lawyer Assist You?

If you’re considering family-based immigration as a way to bring your loved ones to this country, you should get in touch with our family immigration law firm. Our legal team would be happy to review your situation to determine which visa would be right for you as a U.S. citizen or permanent resident thinking about sponsoring family members.

At The Chidolue Law Firm, we understand the desire to be surrounded by family while living in the U.S., as our skilled immigration attorney felt the same way before helping family immigrate here. We also realize that family-based immigration is a complex process that U.S. citizens and permanent residents alike might find overwhelming without help. That’s why we urge you to contact us to discuss our wide range of immigration services with a caring attorney who understands U.S. immigration law.

When you call us at 407-995-6567, you’ll get a free initial consultation with our legal team to get answers to your questions and advice on getting started. Contact us today if you’re looking forward to learning how to successfully navigate your family-based immigration case.