Turning hope
into reality.
Turning the page
to a better life.


Turning hope
into reality.
Turning the page
to a better life.


Nationwide U Visa Immigration Lawyer


Helping Crime Victims Seek Justice Without Fear of Deportation

If you were the victim of a crime in the U.S., and you’re worried that reporting it to the police could put your immigration status in jeopardy, you should talk to experienced immigration attorneys about applying for a U visa. If you qualify for this type of visa, you can remain in the U.S. for four years and eventually apply for a green card so you don’t have to worry about deportation proceedings against you after calling the police about a crime.

Of course, you must meet certain criteria before obtaining a U visa, including being willing to assist law enforcement with the investigation of the crime. To find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for a U visa, you should hire immigration lawyers with years of experience assisting undocumented immigrants with immigration law issues. Call The Chidolue Law Firm to schedule your free case evaluation with a knowledgeable U visa attorney.

What Is a U Visa?

In the fall of 2000, members of Congress acknowledged that crime victims who don’t have U.S. citizenship or legal residency could be hesitant to call the police for help due to the fear of deportation. For this reason, Congress passed the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act, which led to the U nonimmigrant visa.

This visa benefits immigrants, law enforcement, and the general public. After all, the point of it is to make undocumented immigrants feel more comfortable calling the police if they’re a victim of a crime. When they provide important details about the criminal offense, the police may get the information they need to identify the suspect so they’re behind bars, not free to commit more crimes. In return, the U visa offers the victim the following benefits:

  • The ability to legally stay in the U.S. for four years
  • Permission to work in the U.S.
  • The chance to adjust their visa status to get a green card after three years
  • The opportunity to eventually apply for U.S. citizenship
  • Eligibility for certain government benefits in some states

If you’re interested in any of the immigration benefits that a U visa offers, you should contact a U visa lawyer to determine if you’re eligible for a U visa or any other immigration options. Call our law office today to discuss U visas with a trusted legal team.

Who Is Eligible for a U Visa?

Before you begin the U visa application process, you should consult an experienced U visa lawyer to learn if you qualify. The U visa eligibility criteria include the following:

  • You were the victim of qualifying criminal activity that occurred in the U.S.
  • You suffered substantial physical or mental abuse due to the crime
  • You have important information regarding criminal activity
  • You are willing to help law enforcement with the criminal investigation or prosecution at any stage
  • You are admissible to the U.S., and if not, you’re willing to apply for a waiver

In short, if you suffered mental or physical abuse as the victim of a crime in the U.S., and you have information that will help the police with the investigation, you should talk to a U visa lawyer about the application process.

As you get started, note that the offense committed against you must be considered a qualifying crime before you can get U visa status. There are dozens of qualifying crimes, with some of them including:

  • Domestic violence
  • Sexual assault
  • Blackmail
  • Abduction
  • Human trafficking
  • Kidnapping
  • Unlawful criminal restraint
  • Involuntary servitude
  • False imprisonment
  • Murder
  • Manslaughter
  • Forced prostitution
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Torture
  • Stalking

If you were the victim of these or other related crimes, you have the right to feel comfortable reporting them to law enforcement officials without worrying about your immigration status. The U visa makes this possible, so you should talk to a U visa lawyer about starting the visa application process as soon as possible.

What Should You Expect from the U Visa Application Process?

If you want the benefits of a U visa, you must prove that certain elements are true, such as that a qualifying crime occurred and you suffered physical or mental abuse as a result. If you’re unsure how to prove these details, you should hire experienced U visa immigration lawyers before you begin the U visa process.

The first step of the U visa application process is to request a U visa certification form from the law enforcement office you helped. This serves as proof that you helped the police during the investigation, which is an important detail if you want to qualify for a U visa.

You’ll need to submit this form to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), along with Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status. These forms require supporting documents, such as a personal statement describing the qualifying criminal activity, related police reports, and medical records confirming your injuries. If you’re inadmissible to the U.S., you’ll also need to file Form I-192 for a waiver.

Once you’ve submitted all the necessary information, you’ll need to wait for the USCIS to make a decision. This can take some time since the U.S. only issues 10,000 U visas annually. Making a mistake on your application can increase your wait or even result in a denial of the U visa, so ensure your application is complete and accurate from the start. Hiring skilled U visa attorneys can help with this. Call our immigration law office today to discuss your case with a compassionate U visa attorney.

Should You Hire a Nationwide U Visa Immigration Lawyer?

If you’re a victim of certain crimes, such as domestic violence, human trafficking, or other offenses, you should find out how U visas can protect victims like you. Experienced U visa lawyers will let you know how the process works, including what makes you eligible for a U visa and how to prove you cooperated with law enforcement after the crime.

A trusted immigration law firm can help you pursue U visa status not only for you, but also for any immediate family members who qualify for this visa. After all, as long as you’re 21 or older, you can apply for a U visa for your spouse and unmarried children who are under 21. If you’re under 21, you can apply for a U visa for your spouse, parents, minor children, and unmarried siblings under age 18.

If you have questions about which family members can qualify for a U visa, how to apply for permanent residency, or what makes an undocumented immigrant inadmissible for entry, it’s time to talk to lawyers who are knowledgeable about U.S. immigration law. When you hire The Chidolue Law Firm, you’ll get legal guidance from a caring lawyer dedicated to providing you with peace of mind and accurate information throughout your immigration case. If you’re ready to learn more, call our immigration law office at 407-995-6567 for a free initial consultation with a skilled attorney.