Turning hope
into reality.
Turning the page
to a better life.


Turning hope
into reality.
Turning the page
to a better life.





If you’re a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident with family members living in another country, you might wonder if you can help them immigrate to the U.S. The answer is that you may be able to, depending on how they’re related to you and which family immigration visa you’re eligible to apply for as a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.

An experienced family immigration lawyer will assist with these details to ensure the immigration process goes smoothly for you and your family, so you should contact The Chidolue Law Firm today. Our Atlanta family immigration lawyer has helped numerous clients successfully get green cards for family members hoping to immigrate to this country, and we’re confident we can use our knowledge of immigration law to do the same for you.


Family-based immigration can be a convenient way to bring close family members to the U.S., but not everyone is eligible to use this option. The family immigration process is only available to adults who are at least 21 years old and are either U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.

If you’re a U.S. citizen, you can likely bring your spouse, unmarried children, and parents to the U.S. to live with you. After all, citizens are eligible to apply for family preference visas or immediate relative visas, which are the most common family immigration options.

But if you’re not a citizen and have lawful permanent resident status instead, you can still help certain family members immigrate through the family preference visa. Your Atlanta family immigration lawyer will tell you which visa is available to your family based on your immigration status in the U.S.

Regardless of which type of visa you pursue for your loved ones, they can become green card holders after an approved petition. This means they can legally enter this country and work or attend school like you. If they’re already in the U.S. after lawfully entering on a non-immigrant visa, the family-based immigration process will allow them to petition to adjust their status so they can become a lawful permanent resident. If you’re excited to get this outcome, contact our Atlanta, GA immigration law office to talk to caring immigration attorneys about your case.


Once you determine if you’re eligible to bring family members here, the next step is to decide which type of visa to use. This depends on whether you’re a citizen or a lawful permanent resident in the U.S., as well as which relatives you wish to help immigrate.

If you’re a citizen, you can use family-based immigration visas to bring the following immediate relatives to the U.S.:

  • Your spouse
  • Your parents
  • Your children
  • Your siblings

Depending on which family member you wish to help immigrate, you can use either the immediate relative or family preference visa.

On the other hand, if you’re a permanent resident, only the family preference visa is available to you. This allows you to petition to bring your spouse or unmarried children to the U.S. to enjoy permanent resident status like you. Before you initiate this process, keep in mind that the family preference visa issues green cards to the relatives of citizens and permanent residents in a specific order based on their role in the family. Generally, close relatives are given first preference, with the order being as follows:

  • First preference: The unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens
  • Second preference: The unmarried minor children, unmarried adult children, or spouses of permanent residents
  • Third preference: The married children of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth preference: The siblings of U.S. citizens

If you’re not married yet, but you’re engaged to someone in another country, you can petition for them to legally enter the U.S. through K visas. In particular, the K-1 visa will let your fiance come to the U.S. 90 days before you get married. As long as you get married before the 90-day period is over, you can petition for your fiance to get permanent resident status so they can remain in the country with you.

If you’re unsure which immigrant visas suit your needs, you should hire a skilled Georgia family and immigration lawyer. When you call our law firm to talk to trusted immigration attorneys, you can get answers to your questions about family visas, K visas, and other immigration issues you might encounter.


Once you know which immigrant visa you should apply for, you can start the process by filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative with the immigration court that serves your city. You will need a separate form for every family member you’re sponsoring.

As you fill out legal forms, you should expect to provide supporting documents that prove your citizenship or permanent residence in the U.S. You’ll also need to prove your relationship with each relative you’re sponsoring and show that you can financially support them once they arrive. An Atlanta family immigration lawyer can help determine which documents you need and how to gather them in preparation for your case.

The complex immigration process varies slightly depending on where your family member currently is. If they’re already in the United States, you can petition for adjustment of status. This process can provide people with non-immigrant visas with green cards so they get lawful permanent residency in the U.S. If your relative is outside of the country, they can go through the U.S. consulate abroad to get the documents they need to enter the U.S. once approved.

Either way, they’ll likely have to go through one or more interviews, a medical exam, and a criminal background check to ensure they’re eligible to immigrate. Additionally, you’ll have to pay legal fees along the way, so talk to an Atlanta immigration attorney if you’re interested in getting help with your case. Compassionate family immigration attorneys will make sure you never feel alone as you use the immigration system to bring your family members to the U.S.


Immigration law is often too complicated for families to handle on their own. This is why most people hire a skilled Atlanta family immigration lawyer to guide them through the process from start to finish. Experienced family immigration lawyers will help you choose the right immigrant visas for your family, ensure all legal forms are completed accurately, and answer all your questions throughout the case.

You can expect all this and more when you hire The Chidolue Law Firm for the family immigration services you need. Our immigration law firm has been helping Atlanta, GA clients with a variety of immigration cases involving permanent residency, deportation defense, non-immigrant visas, and other immigration matters. We believe we can successfully handle your immigration issues, as well. Call our trusted immigration law office at 407-995-6567 for a free consultation.